The typical flow for the discussion section is as listed below
- A brief synopsis of the research reported (particularly important when several related studies are included).
- Connections to existing empirical research: (a) How do your results fit with existing literature? (b) How the your results fill a gap in the existing literature?
- Connections to relevant theory.
- Description and discussion of potential limitations, or constraints, on the interpretation of your results. The aim here is to anticipate reviewer or editor objections and provide answers to them, before they are raised.
- Possible applications of the results in practical situations.
- Suggestions for future research, building on your results.